Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: FAO/21/2014
Issued on: 02th May 2014
Deadline for Application: 16th May 2014
Position Title: Nutrition Analyst (2 Position)
Grade Level: SC-9
Contract Type: National Personnel Project
Organizational Unit: FAO-Somalia
Duration: 7 Months with possible extension
Mogadishu-Only Somali with valid passport
Anticipated start date: Immediately
General Description of task(s) and objectives to be achieved:Under the overall supervision of the Officer in Charge (O.I.C.) FAO Somalia and of the Project Manager/ CTA and the direct supervision of the Nutrition Technical Manager, the Nutrition Analyst will focus on the following areas and tasks:
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Maintain responsibility for nutrition situation analysis in designated zones/regions of Somalia.
Specifically, the staff member will:
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date work plan for the zone/region, and coordinate its implementation
- Coordinate data collection through nutritional surveillance system (nutrition surveys, rapid assessments, health facilities, sentinel sites surveillance)
- Analyze data generated through nutritional surveillance system (assessments, sentinel sites surveillance) using an appropriate computer software (E.g. Epi info and nutrisurvey)
- Manage the FSNAU human resource in the relevant zone/region (staff performance reviews/evaluation)
- Provide technical and operational support and guidance to zonal team.
- Ensure the implementation of administrative guidelines by staff members in the zone (with particular attention to those related to travel procedures and security).
- Identify capacity deficits among staff members in the zone and recommend appropriate ways of addressing them implementing where possible.
- Budget, manage and account for finances for the various activities undertaken in the zone.
- Ensure monthly and quarterly reports are submitted to Nairobi on a timely basis by field analysts
- Identify and strengthen partnerships
- Identify capacity deficits among partners in Somalia and take steps to ensure they are addressed
- Conduct training of technical focal points of partner agencies in the designated zone
- Coordinate with partners at country, zonal and regional levels during surveillance and dissemination of information
- Support the team in the development and maintenance of professional relationships with key partners in Somalia and Nairobi.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of specific research initiatives related to nutrition and food security in Somalia.
- Ensure that the various nutrition databases are maintained and updated with relevant information from your zone as necessary.
- Represent FSNAU nutrition in interagency and nutrition cluster meetings in the absence or as directed by the Nutrition Technical Manager and in line with key areas of interest and research.
- Contribute to production and dissemination of nutrition information through FSNAU’s routine bulletins.
- Contribute to the nutrition assessment reports produced by other team members providing constructive criticism additional input and advice where appropriate.
- In the absence of one of the Nutrition Analysts and in consultation with the Nutrition Technical Manager, provide support to cover the gaps and delegate the relevant responsibilities and activities to the remaining team members to ensure all areas of the project are being supported
- Contribute to developing, piloting, implementation and utilization of standard technical guidelines for all project activities
- For sudden onset shocks such as conflict and floods co-ordinate all information flow from field staff to a central point,
- Act as mentor for new Nutrition Analysts
- Monitor communication with partners in relation to assessment planning and analysis – linked to improved coordination at Nairobi and field level.
- Support the development of structures to improve contextual information availability, through increasing coordination and liaison with other sectors such as water, food security, livestock etc.
- Disseminate information through ad-hoc reports, contributions to other reports (FSNAU, UNDP, OCHA etc) and communications with interested parties
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Advanced degree in nutrition, public health or related social sciences from a recognized university
Technical Competencies and Experience Requirements
- Communicating to build understanding and support
- Engaging in continuous learning
- Planning organizing and delivering quality results
- Understanding FAO mandate and its global context
- Working together in teams and partnerships
- Over 2 years of relevant experience in nutrition analysis preferably in Somalia
- Advanced Data analysis skills
- Proficiency in analytical software including SPSS, EPinfo, ENA
Languages: English ( Knowledge of Somali will be useful)
Send your application to:
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/21/2014 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal Profile Form (PPF) availablehttp://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/.
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to HR-Somalia@fao.org
Applications must be received by the deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.