Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, is an international NGO supporting health programs to improve the health of women and their families.
Jhpiego-Kenya works in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health in the areas of HIV, Malaria, TB, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, Reproductive Health and Family Planning.
We are currently recruiting an experienced individual with excellent advocacy skills, who is team player, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
Senior Advocacy Advisor
Reporting to the Country Director, the Senior Advocacy Advisor will provide overall leadership and managerial oversight for Advance Family Planning (AFP) Project in Kenya.
AFP is an evidence-based advocacy initiative for policy development and increased budgetary allocation for family planning (FP) in support of the goals of the Family Planning 2020 partnership.
The Senior Advocacy Advisor will lead family planning advocacy activities, collaborate and coordinate with key stakeholders at national and county level to reduce family planning policy barriers, advocate for increased resources and engage decision-makers to include FP in the development agenda.
S/he will serve as the primary liaison with AFP Baltimore office and partners in Kenya.
S/he will ensure the AFP Project in Kenya achieves its objectives and meets Jhpiego and donor requirements and standards.
- Use the AFP SMART Approach to identify targeted advocacy initiatives at national and county levels to increase financial resources and policy support for family planning
- Lead the AFP project team in engagements with the key stakeholders for sustained advocacy to accelerate the achievement of Kenya’s FP2020 commitments
- Support development, review and analysis of FP strategies, and monitor policy implementation in AFP focus counties
- Lead the AFP project team in the development, implementation and reporting of annual work plans
- Work with the AFP project team to monitor and evaluate project activities
- Lead in identification and strengthening the capacity of partner organizations, community-based organizations and individual champions to deliver evidence-based FP advocacy strategies at national and/or county level
- Participate in targeted advocacy events, such as the World Contraception Day, at national and county levels to increase visibility for family planning activities
- Support the development of policy and informational briefs, case studies, activity reports, preparation of manuscripts for publications as needed
- Collaborate and coordinate activities with key family planning stakeholders, including PMA2020 and Track20
- Represent AFP at meetings and conferences and partner engagements at local, regional and global levels as required
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in communication, public policy, public health, health systems or related field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Reproductive Health/Family Planning advocacy at various levels
- Good understanding of the policy formulation process and regulatory procedures at national and county level
- Excellent understanding of key policy levers and strategies to adapt to influence a variety of decision makers and high level public and private sector audiences
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Demonstrated creativity and proactive approach to advocacy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Interested applicants should send a CV with three referees and detailed cover letter to HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org not later than 13th June 2014.
Please indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Only those selected for the interview will be contacted
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer