Vacancy: Remote Sensing Officer
Introduction: The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD) was established in Nairobi, Kenya in 1975 under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa.
It is an intergovernmental organization and currently has twenty (20) member States, namely: Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
RCMRD’s main mission is to promote sustainable development through generation, application and dissemination of geo-information and allied ICT services and products in the member States and beyond.
The main Geoinformation technologies promoted by RCMRD are Geographic Information System (GIS), Satellite Remote Sensing, Global Positioning System (GPS) and Information Technology (IT).
RCMRD is also vigorously involved in the promotion of the development of National Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) in its member states and in Africa.
Since establishment, RCMRD has been instrumental in capacity development in resource surveys, mapping, remote sensing, GIS and natural resources assessment and management in Africa. RCMRD implements projects on behalf of its member States and development partners as well as undertaking advisory services, research and development activities.
RCMRD is desirous to fill the following position:
Remote Sensing Officer (Pl/P2)
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Remote Sensing, Geo-information Systems and Mapping, the incumbent will carry out the following functions:
- Lead the remote sensing and environmental management section in supervising and implementing projects and capacity development activities.
- Initiate Work Plans and prepare Budgets
- Identify opportunities and write and submit project proposals for funding
- Provide advisory services and technical support in the integrated use of remote sensing in member States
- Promote the application and use of remote sensing in member States and to other stakeholders
- Carry out research and project services in the application and use of remote sensing technologies for sustainable development
- Ensure quality control and assurance of production work; and
- Assess the capacity development needs of member states in the field of remote sensing and earth observation and prepare/review training curriculum and training materials
The ideal candidate must have:
- Msc in Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, Geomantics, Environmental Science and GIS with at least 5 years practical work experience in the field of Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, Geomantics, Environmental Management and GIS. Or;
- BSc in Geomatics, Earth Science, Environmental Science or Geography with at least 10 years practical work experience as Remote Sensing Expert.
Contract duration: Three (3) years renewable.
Salary Scale: The salaries for the above position are consolidated and are in the range of: PI/P2 : USD$ 23,685 - USD$ 43,841 p.a.
Entry point for the position will be determined by qualifications and experience.
Benefits: These include contributory provident fund with both parties contributing 7% of monthly basic salary towards the fund, gratuity at the rate of 10% of annual basic salary based on successful completion of the contract and a staff contributory group medical scheme to a maximum of five (5) family members.
Applicants for this position must be nationals of the RCMRD’s member States only.
Applications should be addressed to:
P.0 Box 632, 00618, Ruaraka
Tel: +254 20 2680722/2680748
Fax: +254 20 2680747
to reach him not later than 15th August 2014.