The PREPARED Project: Planning for Resilience in East Africa through Policy, Adaptation, Research, and Economic Development
Tetra Tech is seeking to recruit consultants to support outreach activities under the Lake Victoria basin-wide Vulnerability, Impacts and Adaptation Assessment (VIA) work being conducted by the USAID/East Africa Planning for Resilience in East Africa through Policy, Adaptation, Research and Economic Development (PREPARED) Project.
PREPARED is a five-year, multi-organization, comprehensive program aimed at mainstreaming integrated, multi-sectoral, evidence-based, climate-resilient development planning and program implementation into the EAC and its Partner States’ development agendas.
As part of the VIA, the PREPARED Project will assist the East Africa Community (EAC) to:
- Conduct a comprehensive vulnerability impact assessment in various socio-economic sectors to inform adaptation decision making;
- Promote alternative livelihoods systems, including enhancing adaptive capacities of communities, fragile ecosystems and national economies;
- Develop a comprehensive multi-county, trans-boundary climate change adaptation action plan for the region, focusing on the Lake Victoria basin; and
- Support countries in mainstreaming and implementing the regional adaptation strategy and action plan.
Stakeholder engagement is key to developing an effective Lake Victoria Basin Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan.
Communication and outreach approaches must be integral with stakeholder engagement and ensure the adequate development of appropriate messages for different audiences.
To establish effective structures for stakeholder engagement and participation, the PREPARED Project is seeking consultancy services from two qualified specialists:
(1) an expert for engaging and consulting with stakeholders; and
(2) a specialist in communicating climate change issues.
The consultants will work under the supervision of the PREPARED Project Climate Change Adaptation Technical Advisor.
Each consultancy will have a duration of 30 days level of effort.
Overall Objectives of the Consultancies: The overall objective of these consultancies is to provide the PREPARED Project with a Communications and Outreach Strategy and Action Plan that ensures the adequate and effective participation of relevant stakeholders, through sustained dialogue, while increasing awareness and stimulating action.
Communications and Outreach Consultant
The Communication and Outreach Consultant should have relevant key qualifications and substantial experience in:
- Post graduate degree (e.g. at least masters level);
- Developing communications and media strategies;
- Institutional communication skills in the areas of environment and development;
- Mass communication/public relations/advertising/communication analysis and planning/marketing;
- Conducting communications needs analyses and preparing strategies and action plans
- Managing communication and outreach programs;
- Good reporting and presentation skills;
- Community development and capacity building programs;
- English fluency;
- Use of relevant computer software;
- Engagement of stakeholders in the development of Climate Change Adaptation programs/plans;
- Engagement with Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and other climate change stakeholders;
- Previous work with the Lake Victoria Region as well as experience and/or familiarity with East African integration process will be an added advantage
Stakeholder Engagement Consultant
The Stakeholder Engagement Consultant should have relevant key qualifications and substantial experience in:
- Post graduate degree (e.g. at least masters level) in a relevant field of study;
- Participatory engagement and/or monitoring of Climate Change Adaptation activities;
- Public and private sectors, academia, civil society organizations (CSOs) or stakeholders involved in environment or climate change programs;
- Data collection and analysis;
- Identifying, assessing and categorizing stakeholders and developing stakeholder maps;
- Developing stakeholder engagement strategies;
- Excellent facilitation and interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in spoken and written English (knowledge of Kiswahili, French languages would be an added advantage);
- Advanced computer literacy to include professional/technical presentations; and
- The Lake Victoria basin. Previous experience within the Lake Victoria Region as well as experience and/or familiarity with East African integration process will be an added advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications which should include the following:
1. Current detailed CV
2. Cover Letter
3. Proposal (1—2 pages maximum) that outlines how the consultant would expect to complete this work;
a.For Communications and Outreach Consultant – how to identify, establish and utilize the best media for communicating all aspects related to the implementation of a regional VIA; and
b.For the Stakeholder Engagement Consultant – how to identify, engage, and consult with relevant stake holders on the results and use of a VIA.
4.Contact information for at least three references
5.Signed and dated EBD form. The EBD form can be downloaded from:https://careers.tetratechintdev.com/ARDCareers/App/Documents/AID1420-17EBD.pdf
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
The applications should be sent to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subject of the email should include “PREPARED” and the name of the position for which you are applying.
The deadline for submission of applications is 26 May 2014.
Short-listed candidates may be contacted for an interview.
Tetra Tech ARD is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations.
We encourage applications from women and underrepresented groups.
Tetra Tech ARD is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Website: www.tetratech.com / www. tetratechintdev.com