The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is an international not-for-profit organisation that facilitates, and promotes public / private partnerships to access, develop, adapt and deliver royalty-free appropriate agricultural technologies for sustainable use by smallholder farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
AATF has a vacancy for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsible for: None
Overall purpose: Responsible for monitoring and ensuring high quality and timely inputs, and for ensuring that the project maintains its strategic vision and that its activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner.
In addition, the M&E Officer is responsible for designing and implementing the M&E activities of all AATF Projects; assisting Project Managers in preparing quarterly/annual reports on project progress and will monitor the project activities on a regular basis and will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to project activities.
Duties & responsibilities
• Operationalize the M&E framework designed for the Foundation including and not limited to: designing program M&E tools for data collection, verification, and management and reporting as well as data audits;
• In liaison with the Executive Director, develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation strategy for the Foundation;
• Develop and strengthen monitoring, inspection and evaluation procedures;
• Assist Project Managers to develop systematic and realistic monitoring plans that capture quantitative and qualitative data to report on project performance indicators;
• Coordinate the implementation of baseline surveys, follow‐up on monitoring and evaluation exercises for various initiatives for the Foundation;
• Monitor all project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving project outputs;
• Conduct capacity assessments on existing monitoring and evaluation system;
• Build capacity of local communities, partners and staff on the logical framework, data management, AMELIA, data analysis and results‐oriented programming, monitoring and evaluation methods and principles and report writing techniques and requirements for relevant donors to ensure compliance;
• Develop program and operational reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition and aggregation of information in programs;
• Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results as well as the sustainability of the project results;
• Coordinate compilation and dissemination of annual and quarterly reports for all AATF projects;
• Report monthly, quarterly and annual progress on all project activities to the Executive Director and Project Managers;
• In liaison with Project Managers, organize and coordinate lessons learnt workshops/review of program work plans with partners and other stakeholders;
• Suggest strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of projects by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate them;
• Develop and maintain effective information database on projects, providing resource and necessary support for program inputs and outputs;
• Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist Project Managers in preparing relevant reports;
• Develop and maintain a system for archiving M&E guidelines, tools, data files, analysis files, reports and presentations for major activity undertaken;
• Assist in gathering, summarizing and disseminating relevant technical updates on program planning monitoring, evaluation and operations research within the project;
• Coordinate mid‐term reviews and evaluation of program activities and ensure proper documentation of innovative approaches and best practices for dissemination and sharing experiences to promote repeat applications or scaling‐up in different community settings; and
• Participate in multidisciplinary teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans to improve AATF programming effectiveness.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration or any other related field;
• Five (5) years relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation;
• Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software; and
• Proficiency in the use of computer.
Key skills & competencies
• Proven ICT skills, especially in the development of MIS software using database software;
• Strong training & facilitation skills;
• Ability to initiate and manage change and to recognize and adjust to rapidly changing conditions ;
• Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to write reports;
• Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook express including financial and statistical packages;
• High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity;
• Ability to maintain high standards of integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships;
• Must have strong quantitative and analytical skills, verbal skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non‐technical colleagues; and
• Ability to treat individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences.
Compensation and tenure: AATF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. The employment contract is for an initial period of 2 years, renewable subject to performance and availability of funding.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the Human Resource Head at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 20 June 2014.
Your CV should include details of your qualifications, experience, current position, telephone contact, email address, names and addresses of three referees.
AATF is an equal opportunity employer.