A vacancy has arisen at the British High Commission for a B3(L) Head of Customer Service Help Desk (CSHD).
The British High Commission Nairobi and British Embassy Mogadishu (Nairobi Office) consist of 360 employees with a wide variety of experience and job roles, representing 10 British government departments working within Kenya and Somalia.
The position is graded at B3(L) for which the starting salary is Ksh. 185,628/- per month before deduction of tax.
Where the jobholder is not liable to Kenyan tax the scale will be abated under HM Treasury rules and starts at Ksh. 136,067/- per month to take account of the tax they would have paid.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a relatively new team.
The successful candidate should have a good track record of Customer Service Management – including managing expectations and delivering difficult messages - and will need to demonstrate that they can work as part of a team, manage and motivate staff, delegate responsibilities and meet tight deadlines and targets.
Working closely with the Section Heads within Joint Corporate Services Team (JCST), the successful candidate will need to deal with a range of contacts – both inside and outside the High Commission. S/he should therefore be able to provide support to the wider JCST while demonstrating good organisational skills.
The key responsibilities are:-
- Leading a team of 3 Customer Service Officers that provide a first class customer experience by communicating quickly and efficiently, and by seeking and acting upon constant feed back while adhering to HMG Nairobi policy;
- Defining and delivering a JCST customer service strategy to ensure an exceptional level of service is experienced across a diverse customer base;
- Analysis of service performance data to inform continuous improvements to the way services are delivered across JCST.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the management, organisation and co-ordination of the day to day work of a team of customer service officers on the CSHD to deliver the highest standards of services to customers.
- Ensure the CSHD is adequately resourced by liaising with relevant staff and planning resources effectively;
- Ensure that customer enquiries are dealt with in accordance with the performance and service standards as laid down by the Network Committee and Corporate Services charter. Personally deal with more complex enquiries, including complaints and enquiries;
- Maintain effective relationships with service colleagues (Technical Works Group and other JCST teams), key stakeholders, (User Group, Network and Peoples’ Committee), contractors (local and UK), hard to reach groups (spouses and new arrivals), the wider community (including responsible Departments in the Foreign Office and regional posts) and other organisations, to ensure the effective delivery of customer services;
- Undertake customer surveys, consultation, exit surveys and elicit feedback on services with a view to improving service delivery;
- Challenge current methods of service delivery and identify, recommend and implement improvements. Keep up to date with customer services best practice to improve customer satisfaction and reduce costs;
- Ensure allocated jobs are tracked and that the team follow-up to ascertain jobs are completed within agreed service times;
- Maintain and develop a thorough and up-to-date working knowledge of all JCST services including procedures and guidance to deal with customer enquiries.
- Implement any changes to procedures, business processes and technology.
- Continually assess the effectiveness of the team, especially in terms of quality of service, and ensuring all guidance on SharePoint and on the DFID equivalent is kept up to date by the Customer Service teams;
- Monitor and co-ordinate management information relating to the work of the teams.
- Critically analyse information, monitor performance, identify trends and make recommendations for continuous improvement to meet targets.
- Prepare and present reports and management information relating to performance and any other aspect of the team’s work;
- Ensure that customer service officers achieve the required performance targets and standards.
- Monitor and report progress and performance, provide feedback and take appropriate corrective action;
- Ensure all relevant correspondence is answered. Ensure all complaints are answered in accordance with set procedures and guidelines.
- Monitor, track and analyse complaints making recommendations on trends and improvements that will reduce volume and pattern of complaints and improve quality of service;
- Motivate, develop, coach, train, induct and formally appraise employees to set performance standards, recognise achievement and deal with performance;
- Monitor and achieve appropriate customer outreach – by holding briefings with new arrivals on different aspects of service offered and managing customers’ expectations.
- Excellent communication skills both spoken and written English
- Strong IT skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is essential)
- Previous staff management experience
- Customer service management experience
- Strong team working skills
- Seeing the Big Picture - having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs;
- Making Effective Decisions - being objective; using sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice;
- Leading and Communicating - leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm;
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area, creating and maintaining positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside HMG Nairobi to help get business done;
- Managing a Quality Service - being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements;
- Delivering at Pace - focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
The British High Commission has not appointed any agents to process job applications or arrange interviews for this position and expects no fees to be paid to anyone.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in Kenya.
Applications – (CV plus completed application form) clearly marked: - “B3(L) Head of Customer Service Help Desk” should be forwarded to the following address:
Human Resources Manager
British High Commission
Upper Hill Road
PO Box 30465 – 00100
Or by e-mail to: HR.Recruit2@fco.gov.uk
Applications should be received on or before 1.00 pm, 7 March 2014.
Only successful candidates will be contacted for interview.
The British High Commission is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are welcomed from all suitably qualified individuals irrespective of race, gender or disability. All applications will be treated on merit basis through fair and open competition.