Vacancy: Communication Officer
The Kenya Veterinary Association (KVA) is a membership professional association for Veterinary Surgeons whose mandate is to act as a watchdog for the veterinary profession in ensuring proper management of veterinary and animal welfare issues that impact on the welfare of the veterinarians with an overall aim of enhancing animal welfare.
Towards this end the Association is involved in advocacy on issues affecting the animal resource industry in collaboration with other stakeholders.
The Association has been working closely with Business Advocacy Fund (BAF) which supports business member organizations (BMOs), trades unions and civil society organizations with an interest in supporting business to engage in private public dialogue and to advocate improvements in the business environment in Kenya in the expectation that, if successful, changed policies will lead to more investment and, ultimately, more jobs.
In order to effectively communicate with relevant stakeholders BAF has agreed to support KVA to engage the services of aCommunication Officer.
The Communications Officer will be responsible for developing and delivering a full range of materials to effectively communicate the Association’s activities and events which support the advancement of its goals and objectives to its membership, partners and wider stakeholders.
The Communications Officer will report directly to the Association’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
1. Information & Communication
- Providing support in the development and implementation of KVA’s Communication Strategy and Plan that addresses the needs of the Association’s members, partners and other stakeholders and is aligned to the KVA Strategy.
- Undertaking systematic monitoring and reporting on media coverage of the Animal resource industry, especially the veterinary profession and in particular KVA and its activities.
- Preparing presentations, reports and assisting in the development of case studies on the impact of various KVA projects.
- Developing and producing Association’s communication materials e.g. newsletters, annual reports, posters, journals, banners and brochures
- Participating and providing support in organizing and coordinating of events and visits.
- Developing a media database and relevant material as well as maintaining photo and press archives as needed.
- Assessing and compiling incoming information for relevance to the KVA Secretariat, members and partners and disseminate as appropriate
- Developing and maintaining quality relations with the various media organizations.
- Supporting the Program Officers in selecting documents/information and developing into formats that are suitable for use in KVA activities.
2. Membership Management
- Maintain up to date current and accurate information on members and member contacts.
- Continuously engage members and relevant Animal Resource industry stakeholders so as to maintain a vibrant and active Network of stakeholders.
3. Marketing & Branding
- Provide leadership for and undertake packaging and branding of KVA activities and services.
- Develop tools and templates for consistently and appropriately marketing KVA to various audiences.
- Develop and implement activities that are geared towards achieving visibility for the Association among current and potential members, partners and stakeholders.
- Manage the Association’s website including website content management
- In consultation with the EO attend relevant meetings to increase visibility of the Association.
- Enforcing the KVA brand standards guide to ensure standardization in the use of its logo and other material.
- Assisting in the development of content and editing of documentaries, publications, newsletters, Association profiles for the web pages.
- Minimum of a University degree in Communications or equivalent
- At least three (3) years experience in Corporate communications .
- Training and experience in Public relations
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Sound I.T skills and especially desktop publishing skills and website management
- Database management skills
- Skills to use Adobe Design Software and Office products
- Third party service providers management experience
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a detailed CV, stating qualifications, experience, current position and remuneration, phone contact, email address, name and addresses of two (2) referees, enclosing copies of relevant certificates/testimonials, by Friday 25th April 2014 to:
Kenya Veterinary Association, Head Office,
Veterinary Research Labs, Kabete,
P. O. Box 29089 - 00625
Kangemi Nairobi Kenya.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted no later than Wednesday 30th April 2014