The University of Maryland Baltimore Global Health Initiatives through its operating arm Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation Kenya (MGIC-Kenya), implements comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment programs in collaboration with the Kenya Ministries of Medical Services and Public Health to control the spread of HIV and rapidly scale up HIV services.
Other mandates are to institute continuous quality improvement methods as well as the monitoring and evaluation infrastructure necessary to support these services.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the following position:
Finance and Admin Director
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Position Profile: The Director for Finance and Admin will be responsible for ensuring that organization’s finances are managed according to set guidelines, procedures and rules and that the organization’s business is facilitated with financial resources in a timely and efficient manner.
The D-F&A will ensure the organization is compliant with internal and external stakeholders rules and regulations including the host government’s laws.
Further, the D-F&A will supervise and support sub-grantees of UM or MGIC including carrying out any necessary due diligence to ensure they are at all times compliant with grant/funding rules and regulations.
The D-F&A will ensure that internal financial accounting and reporting systems are strengthened to guarantee accurate and timely reporting to the HQ Offices and to funders.
Finally, the D-F&A will provide technical input into budgeting for programs including providing financial advice to improve efficiency and effectiveness within the organization.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provide oversight for all financial processes and procedures.
- Prepare monthly management accounts to support decision-making by Country leadership.
- Ensure production of statutory accounts for MGIC Kenya.
- Act as the main point of contact to external advisors e.g. CDC, auditors, bankers, outsourced consultants etc.
- Monitor burn rates of grants, budget vs. actual analyses and forecasts and advise PDs on implications.
- Maintain updated information regarding donor-reporting requirements and ensure that all internal stakeholders are updated on any new changes or requirements.
- Offer treasury management through managing cash flows, calling down of funds from Baltimore and from the USD to Kenyan Shilling accounts.
- Maintain stewardship and fiduciary responsibility of financial resources.
- Actively participate as an expert resource in program budget preparation for the grants.
Grant Management & Compliance
- Serve as principle point of contact on grant management and compliance issues for the country office.
- Ensure that the capacity of the country management personnel and business processes are augmented in order to reduce overall risk associated with non-compliance with donor rules.
- Ensure that there is a consistent understanding and implementation of the donor regulations and requirements of awards.
- Identify priority areas of focus for compliance activities including the development and delivery of a compliance training curricula and the delivery of technical assistance.
- Review A-133 audits, internal audits, and any independent audit reports of sub-grantees in order to: (1) Identify medium or high risks that need priority focus; (2) Identify chronic issues that require a systematic response/solution; and, (3) Formulate recommendations, action plans and implement interventions in order to reduce overall liability to the MGIC.
- Attend donor meetings/trainings related to grant reporting and compliance.
- Coordinate internal discussion between Grants, Quality Assurance (HQ), Operations Specialist (HQ), and Finance (HQ) to reach UMB consensus on interpretation of donor regulations.
Sub Grantee Finance Capacity Development
- Provide direct technical and managerial support in all aspects of financial management for sub-grantees.
- Provide support in orientation of accounting and project management staff in relevant and appropriate donor financial management policies, procedures, and standards.
- Monitor all sub-grantees agreements and ensure compliance with MGIC and donor financial regulations and guidelines.
- Regularly monitor and assess each sub-grantee’s ability to accurately record and post all financial transactions in the field and provide analysis and recommendations to the HQ Finance.
- Provide strategic leadership for “Internal Control and Monitoring” assessments as required.
Internal Control Assessments and Financial Reviews
- Provide strategic leadership for finance and compliance reviews of sub-grantees at least annually.
- Review the prepared and indexed work papers, ensuring that files are organized, legible and logically developed to document management, accounting and logistics systems in operation, the assessment of those systems, the tests developed and conducted to evaluate those systems, the tests of the accuracy of reports developed under those systems.
- Review the findings and recommendations that are developed from the financial review ensuring that they are presented in the required format and referenced to supporting documentation in the work papers.
- Collaborate with HQ units on internal control assessments and financial reviews e.g. Manager for International Quality Assurance and Operations Specialist etc.
- Supervise, guide, coach and manage performance of supervisees, ensuring quality and efficient performance of staff.
- Mentor and build the capacity of finance staff, identify training needs and organize appropriate training.
- Enhance the concept of teamwork and dialogue within the finance department.
Undertake other duties consistent with the general scope of work as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their online application clearly detailing their suitability for the position on or before May 23rd 2014 at http://goo.gl/T8sryH.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
CVs without salary requirements will not be considered.
MGIC is an equal opportunity employer.