The University of Maryland Baltimore Global Health Initiatives through its operating arm Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation Kenya (MGIC-Kenya), implements comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment programs in collaboration with the Kenya Ministries of Medical Services and Public Health to control the spread of HIV and rapidly scale up HIV services.
Other mandates are to institute continuous quality improvement methods as well as the monitoring and evaluation infrastructure necessary to support these services.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the following position:
Reports To: Senior Technical Advisor – Laboratory
Purpose: The Laboratory Specialist will provide support to Senior Technical Advisors in ensuring appropriate transfer of the global organizational and project laboratory strategy and provide technical assistance and capacity building to health care facility laboratory scientists and technicians.
- Conduct laboratory assessments as required in regard to capacity, quality control, quality assurance, and laboratory needs;
- Provide technical assistant to support capacity building of laboratories in response to capacity gaps identified to include choice of equipment platforms, overall staff technical capacity, quality assurance and control;
- Support health facilities/ counties, develop effective linkages with central/ national supply systems and effective and efficient inventory management;
- Support appropriate development and or integration into regional and or national laboratory networks for comprehensive access to diagnostics;
- Support development of sustainable equipment maintenance strategies at facility and regional levels;
- Support as appropriate accreditation of laboratories with recognized national or international bodies ; and
- Provide organizational representation at regional and national levels as required.
Required Experience, Qualification & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Registration with the Laboratory Board
- 4 years’ experience, 1 year experience at supervisory level
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Project management and analytical skills
- Training and Mentorship Skills
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their online application clearly detailing their suitability for the position on or before May 23rd 2014 at http://goo.gl/T8sryH.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
CVs without salary requirements will not be considered.
MGIC is an equal opportunity employer.