MURDO is a Non – Governmental organizations implementing relief and development projects in Somalia since 1991.
Murdo is funded by various donors and responds to the complex crisis that has evolved in Somalia by implementing livelihood projects.
MURDO is currently seeking to fill the following positions with skilled, diplomatic, effective, and highly motivated individuals to join the Somali based team.
Position: Project Manager
Reporting to: Country Program Manager
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Duration: 8 months with possibility of extension
Overall purpose of the job
The Project Manager will manage, acquire resources and coordinate the efforts of team members and third-parties in order to deliver projects according to plan while ensuring quality control throughout the projects life cycle.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the implementation and delivery of successful project outcomes
- Part of MURDO management Team in Somalia, refining, developing and improving program approaches and systems, supporting the Country Program manager to build and deliver the most effective and sustainable development interventions.
- To establish, build and lead the development of a cohesive appropriate project Environment in-line with MURDO Country, regional strategy and projects objectives.
- Overall lead in the establishment, implementation and management of the Emergency Assistance for program Drought Affected Families in Somalia at the field level
- Represent MURDO to local authorities, donors, international and national NGOs and UN agencies where ever approved by Country Manager.
- Participate in strategy development for the respective thematic areas.
- Responsible for projects activities reporting as per guidelines
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation tools and oversee training of the same
- Ensure implementation of tools and integration into project activities.
- Undertake assessment, reviews and other monitoring activities according to plans.
- Documenting lessons learned from project activities, supporting communications officer with relevant materials as required on the Emergency Assistance for Drought Affected Families.
- Coordinate activities with other MURDO Projects in South Central Somalia for cross learning and improved quality of programming
- Contribute to field based learning of MURDO and its partners, on related aspects.
- Organize and facilitate training for all staff and partners on technical components of the project (Emergency employment creation, Conflict mitigation and M&E)
Finance & budget Management roles
- Oversee field project budget development and adherence.
- Compile monthly internal reports to the Nairobi office and donor reports as per contract.
- Develops project proposals and assist in fundraising for programs in South Central Somalia.
- Responsible for ensuring efficient and smooth running of the offices and coordination between sub-offices, HQ and other projects.
- Responsible for ensuring strict compliance of Human Resources, Finance and Operation policies, procedures and relevant donor regulations
- In liaison with the Country Manager, Producing and updating job descriptions for the recruitment of new staff, participating in recruitment, staff inductions, line management and de-briefing as per MURDO policies.
- Any other duties as required within the level and authority of this position.
- At least a University degree in related livelihoods field.
- Experience in managing Emergency projects in Somalia or a related fragile context
- Minimum 3 yrs relevant overseas experience in managing OFDA,FFP/USAID funded projects is an advantage
- Strong project management experience, including experience in proposal writing, strong M&E skills, budget management and financial monitoring and donor reporting
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Ability to multi-task, meets short deadlines, and effectively handles stressful situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in English a must.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish motivate and maintain effective working relations with the project team and other field staff.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort
Suitable candidates should email an application letter and Curriculum Vitae with three referees to Hr@murdoorg.org and cc firstname.lastname@example.org by Close of Business on Tuesday, 20th May, 2014.
MURDO is an equal opportunity employer and will seek to recruit the most qualified person for the job irrespective of marital status, ethnicity, religion, gender etc. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.